Frustrated with the Economy? Jobless? Can't seem to figure any thing out there? Here are some tips!
I've been job hunting for the past month and I may not have a job yet but I've had several interviews. The main reason I haven't been able to get a job yet is because I am competing with people who have had 5 or more years of experience.
Even though I haven't found a job yet I have figured out how a lot of things work. I'm not an expert on this but I just wanted to share a few pointers on some things I have discovered that seem to work. Here are some tips for those of you job hunting:
1. Lots of jobs get posted on Fridays. For some reason I always have my best luck on Fridays. Don't just use Job search engines go to the company website. Think about companies in your area that you are interested in working for.
2. The Online Resume. IF you don't have a LinkedIn profile get one. Have a resume ready. Sometimes companies give you the option of uploading your resume. Others have a specific resume for you to fill out or they have a build your resume option.
3. Make sure you have references. It's rare they check these but make sure you have a few references that aren't family or friends.
4. USE YOUR CONNECTIONS! The best way to get a job right now is through who you know. Talk to your friends, family, twitter friends. Ask them if they know of a job opening. It's a great way to find out what is out there.
Once you found a job you are interested in you have to send the right impression. Here are a few tips on how to do that:
1. An awesome cover letter will get you an interview: Send a cover letter detailing things in your resume and add things that aren't that might be of interest to the position. Personalize it and make sure you state the full name of the company and the job title. Talk yourself up.
2. Have an awesome resume. List skills you might have. Don't go to far back in your work time line. I have gone to several different universities but I only list Mississippi College since that is the school I actually received my degree from.
3. Dress to impress. If you don't have a suit already go buy one. JCPennys has a great selection of reasonably priced suits for men and Belk has a good section for Women.
4. Do a little research. Don't go to an interview without any knowledge of the company. Find out who they are and what they do.
4. When you go to the interview BE YOURSELF but professionalized. Don't be fake they can see right through you. If you do this you won't have a chance. The people who do this know who they are.
5. Follow up! Get on the phone and find out whats going on! If you don't get the job ask why and what you can improve on.
Good luck on the job hunt all! And if you know of a job opening in the Jackson (full time if possible) Let me know! I'm looking in the Public Relations, Journalism, Mass Communication field.
I was chilling on Twitter earlier today and this is why I love it. One of my friends from Southern Twittered with these instructions. Follow...
Found Dead in an apartment in NYC he was 28 years old. He was found by a housekeeper at 3:26 P.M. today according to the Associated Press....
This past Saturday August 9th I auditioned for the popular Fox Television show American Idol. I woke up at 6:00 AM put my wig on and starte...